"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, August 12, 2013

Jud Austin Jenkins

July 24th was supposed to be like any other Wednesday for us....or so we thought.  

Since our house is not quite finished (it was supposed to be finished by the time Jud was due August 16), we were still living at my parent's house.  They left town for a couple of days because my cute and pregnant sister Emma was graduating from BYU-Idaho with  her associates degree.  Austin woke up and got ready for work, came in like usual said family prayer, gave me a kiss and left for work around 7:00.  I decided to stay in bed a while longer and try to go back to sleep.  As I was laying there I had a sharp pain in my abdomen, and quickly rolled onto my back to re-position myself so i'd be more comfortable.  It was then I realized something was going on.  I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom just as my water broke.  I called Austin, who was luckily only about 10 minutes down the road instead of the 50 minutes he could have been if he had made it all the way into work.  He turned back around while I called my mom and the hospital to make sure my it was my water and not some weird coincidence or something.  

I made Austin take a picture of our count down clock my Grandpa and Denise gave us when they found out we were pregnant.  Mostly because I was a little bit dazed and had to actually ask Austin what the date was and what month we were in.  I knew our baby was due on August 16th, and that the date wasn't the 16th, but from there I was drawing a blank.

We got to the hospital around 9:15, and realized we didn't even know where labor and delivery was.  We had planned on taking a tour of the hospital, but hadn't scheduled it or anything since we had just had our very first weekly appointment.  The lady at the information desk looked at us a little bit funny when we asked, told her thanks, and then headed down the hall.  The lady who was cleaning one of the elevators looked at us weird too.  She asked if I was in labor, I told her, "I think so."  She asked if we wanted to use the elevator she was cleaning, we told her we'd take the next one.  The nurse who helped us once I figured out we were headed to the nursery instead of the labor/delivery side of the maternity ward wanted to know why I was walking and not in a wheel chair.  I told her I was okay, she laughed at us, but took a hold of my arm like I was about to fall over any minute.

Short story even shorter...Jud Austin Jenkins was born 4:26 pm weighing 6lbs 8oz, 19 inches long with dark hair, and pretty much the cutest early package ever. 









 We had a little bit of a hard time getting him to nurse, we were told that "pre-term preemies" (which he qualified for since he came at week 36) have a harder time nursing a lot of the time because they aren't quite strong enough yet.  They had to check his blood sugar before I would feed him to make sure his numbers were high enough and his little heals had a lot of little prick marks on them by the time we left.



I had an outfit all picked out for him to come home from the hospital in.  However, all our baby things were over at our house.  We're lucky we remembered things like toothbrushes.  Nurses and staff would come into our room and ask if we had any blankets or beanies we would like him to use.  I told them I didn't even have a car seat to take him home in yet, let a lone a beanie for him to wear.  Our favorite nurse brought him a little green crocheted beanie to wear.  And luckily Grandma Jo saved the day and bought him a cute little football-hippo outfit and matching jammies to wear. 

 (We couldn't quite get it together for our first family picture)

 Thanks to Kelsee, Tyler, and especially cousin Kent for letting us borrow their car seat until we bought one.  Lucky for us Kent had just grown out of his.

 No blanket for the first ride home....had to use my sweater)





2 comments:

. said...

Yay! I love this. I can't wait to meet that little man. You are so lucky, the last three weeks is worse than the entire nine months and delievery combined and you just got to skip it all. I love what little babies do to grown men, they just turn so soft. So happy for your little family. I'm excited to see the changes you did to the house. Hope you keep updating so I can watch Jud grow.

Jennica said...

I am already in love with this cute little boy! I am so incredibly happy for you! Love the first family picture, it looks a lot like ours.