"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, June 7, 2010

If at first you dont succeed....

Today Austin and I went yet again to another infertility doctor. My great-aunt Becky did some homework and found a doctor through a friend......and I have to say my faith in doctors has been restored.
Dr. Foulk will have been the 8th "lady doctor" I have seen to date, and he evens out the tally. Four doctors - Great.....Four doctors - Not so Great
I think I had Austin pretty freaked out when I picked him up from work to head to our appointment. He kept asking if I was okay and could totally tell I was stressed. It didn't help that the doctor was running behind schedule due to an emergency surgery earlier that morning....which gave me more time to sit in the waiting room and become all the more freaked out. To say the least I was on pins and needles. Plus I had misplaces over half of my medical records, basically everything from 2009 to the present, which added to my stress. I just was not ready to go to another doctor just to have them tell me the same old stuff.
"Nothing is wrong with you."
"You just need to lose some weight."
"If you really want to be happy you should talk to one of the Quorum of the Twelve or the Pope." (really, a doctor said that to me)
Finally a nurse took us back to the doctors office where the stress continued to mount for me. However any nervousness Austin felt was alleviated as soon as he spotted a picture on the wall of the doctor and his wife standing in the west wing office of the White House with president Bush. Me, while being impressed that a picture had been taken with a former president, was still skeptical. Rude people get their pictures taken all the time.
This doctor was very straightforward, and told us a lot of the same information we already knew. But I think it was how he told us. He never once made us feel stupid or that our concerns weren't valid. I must say it is very nice to leave a doctors office feeling better and not worse about your situation.
All I can say is thanks to Grandma Tanner, who talked to Aunt Becky, who talked to a friend who had seen Dr. Foulk!
The benefits of networking.

6 comments:

Matt and Jess said...

I'm happy for you that you found a good doctor that you can trust and rely on to help you. I hope that everything goes well and that he can help you guys.

Sierra said...

I'm so sorry Shawnee... sometimes the trials life throws at us suck. Good luck with everything :-)

Scott and Becky said...

Do you see him again? How soon? I am so glad that he made you feel comfortable. We pray for you two always.

Rachel said...

So frustrating! Glad you finally found someone that put your mind at ease.

Colby and Cayley said...

I feel your pain!!!! It is amazing the difference a doctor can make just by the way they talk to you. If you ever need anything let me know.

Trent and Karie said...

I totally understand Shawnee! Just keep trying! Seriously if you ever want to talk let me know!